First of all, I want to share the bowls started last November, and just now finished:
I used iron oxide (rust) as an under coat, which gave them an earthy patina.
Liking the underside of this bowl just as well, I pressed a lace doily into the wet clay to give it that great texture:
And here is the “ladybug” platter….Which started out as an actual impression of a huge leaf:
With applied details:
The underside is lovely, but there is a reason for the unglazed leaf base. After the first firing, a large crack through appeared in the middle of the platter. My teacher suggested the unglazed leaf base as a way to patch it. I also pressed additional leaves into the underside to give it more interest and texture:
Yesterday, I went to 212 Arts Center once again, and ventured into their pottery studio by taking another class with teacher Sharie Cannon. She is a wonderful instructor, and lets us go in our own direction but guides us just enough, insuring we are successful.
I brought in some of Jeff’s fish forms he’s made for me to mosaic. They served as giant cookie cutters. And here are the results, a perch and a blue gill:
I texturized them with stamps, as you can see on the rainbow trout, below:
And here is the 3 foot rainbow trout, drying so it can be fired:
If these fish turn out, I plan to attach them to a substrate and fill in around them with mosaic.
This was such an intensely fun process….maybe I need a new category on this blob…Pottery!